Well I have been reviewing Energy Drinks for quite some time now, April 2006 to be exact. I started out as an novice in College. Then I started The Energy Drink Ratings Blog where I became an aficionado. Now, dare I say I have become an addict, especially considering my average daily caffeine intake is probably 400-600 milligrams...
Now I don't have the most extensive database of energy drinks reviewed; however, coming in at around 350 or so reviews, I would have to say I have a pretty decent collection. Now I don't want to brag (at least any more than I normally do), but it looks like an independent review of my site has given me a #1 spot when it comes to ranking energy drinks. The rating was based on "credibility in testing, evaluating and identifying the best Energy Drinks". I rate all Energy Drinks based on taste, price and kick and try to compare apples to apples at all times. That being said, this honor actually means quite a bit to me... and I have to say that I have learned a lot over the past couple years reviewing drinks.
I have come to realize that taste is subjective and kick sometimes is as well. I have admitted when I was wrong when misquoting facts or ingredients (I think at least 3 times now.. although I could be misquoting that). I have been blasted for giving soft reviews on several ED companies products and accused of working for these said energy drink companies, although I have yet to see any kick backs from them :). I have probably been flamed in at least 10 different reviews, probably by said ED company that I am working for and I have even been flamed in reviews by competing ED companies, again for apparently working for said other ED company.
Over the last 350 or so reviews I have also learned
1) Caffeine is a drug and I am addicted. Although, to this day, I still remain extremely active and healthy which is probably why I have a preference for sugar free and organic energy drinks, which several of you have noticed!
2) Don't abuse caffeine. It has it's consequences.
3) Everyone has there idea of the Best Energy Drink
4) Always keep a flame suit handy
5) Get ready for angry and threatening emails from ED companies, especially when they don't agree with MY Opinion in the review.
6) Remain objective (even though taste is subjective) when reviewing energy drinks.
7) Stay as neutral as possible in news events, unlike actual news stories that just point out the negatives.
8) Spammers waste too much of my time
9) Being bribed for a good review is tempting, but I enjoy my integrity.
10) At the rate ED's come out, I will never review them all.
11) I am not the only one addicted to ED's. In all actuality, the ED world is a very tight knit community. I owe the competition a lot. They keep me on my feet and keep me reviewing drinks.
So again, thanks to all you readers out there who post thoughtful comments, thanks to the readers who continually disagree with me, it keeps me on my toes. Thanks to all the ED companies for force feeding me your products and keeping me bouncing off the walls (my actual 9-5 boss really appreciates the increase in productivity) and especially thanks to Consumer Search for the #1 Credibility Rating